AW: [governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Kettemann, Matthias (matthias.kettemann@uni-graz.at) matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Tue Apr 16 15:10:24 EDT 2013

Dear Milton,

just a query: Would you be fine with saying that the functionaliy, stability and security of the Internet is a matter of common interest? This would open the door, as I would argue it has, for using international law as a means to ensure such a state. Usually, regulating common goods is in the common interest, but we can avoid so describing the functionality, stability and security of the Internet  because it would not fit with what is usually termed commons.

This would avoid calling the Internet a public good and would ensure that we could continue the debate.

Kind regards
Matthias

Von: governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org [governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org] im Auftrag von Milton L Mueller [mueller at syr.edu]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 16. April 2013 17:25
An: governance at lists.igcaucus.org; parminder
Betreff: RE: [governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Parminder:
Are you again floating the discredited and theoretically inaccurate notion that something called “the Internet” is a “commons” and “public good?” These claims are just wrong, and have been dealt with years ago. If interested I can direct you to the scientific literature on this.

The Internet _standards_ are open and non-proprietary, and thus can accurately be called the basis of a commons and a public good. Internet services, web sites, etc. are private goods; they are both rival in consumption and excludable. Internet access facilities are private goods. There is no meaningful debate about this; either you understand the definition of public goods and commons and the economic characteristics of these resources or you don’t.

Our research on IP addressing discusses the status of IP addresses as common pool resources. Likewise, other work addresses the status of domain names. Both IP addresses and domain names are private goods but may be regulated in a common pool fashion, or not, depending on what works best. I presume you know what common pool governance is.

It seems to make many people feel good to claim that certain things are commons or public goods. There seems to be no other reason why the claim is so persistent, despite being completely out of line with facts and the economic realities of internet resources. But wishing doesn’t make it so, and false application of concepts can only lead to disastrous policy. These are precise terms with important policy implications. One should respect facts and the basic scientific principles of political economy and derive public policy from that, not the other way around.