[governance] Conflicts in Internet Governance

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 10:00:20 EDT 2013

The concept of "Internet governance" problem arises even in our respective
countries and that the levels of public sector actors, and some private
sector entities of civil society.

It should be noted that when the process of preparatory meetings had been
set up, many of the concepts had not been very inclusive. Most of these
concepts are continually reflected in the themes of discussions. These
include digital technology, access and cultural diversity,
multi-stakeholder approach; reinforced cooperation ..... And all this when
these concepts are placed in the size of the appropriation of ICT.

Governance of the Internet is still today a concept ready to confusion in
the understanding of some policy makers, more particularly in countries
where it is still difficult to reconcile the points of view to develop a
good policy national ICT.

Some people do knowingly continue to benefit from this confusion. And
that's where we are challenged, we of civil society, to provide
clarifications. It is still that "stakeholder approach" is fully justified.

The Internet Governance environnemenment sends us in a complex, systemic
but not without response.

Control of the Internet by the government becomes a daily topic polysemic
character: what should be definitive in our position, of civil society? I
have a hunch that, despite the two phases of WSIS, we have not completely
clarify the concpet Internet governance and the role of different actors in
the governance of the Internet.

It is necessary to rethink the dynamic rooting at the national level.

2013/4/14 Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com>

> In message <**A0615421071EDD4A9F851117D67D53**
> 8A82398DB3 at EXCH01.KDBSystems.**local>, at 15:58:23 on Sun, 14 Apr 2013,
> Kerry Brown <kerry at kdbsystems.com> writes
>
>  The Internet is a collection of routers, cables and peering agreements.
>>>

>> This is the heart of many debates on Internet governance. If you ask a
>> technologist "What is the Internet?" the above is often their answer. If
>> you ask an Internet user you will probably get a very different answer.
>> It will often be their ISP, the web, Google, Facebook, or something
>> similar. The technology aspect of how the Internet works is rarely
>> considered by them. Many government officials have a poor understanding of
>> the issues and are often in the unsophisticated Internet user category
>> and react accordingly. This causes a lot of problems because when people
>> talk about Internet governance they rarely have the same definition of
>> the Internet. This guarantees there will be conflicts.
>>

> All of this is true. My day-job is trying to bridge that divide, reduce
> the conflicts etc.
>

>  Managing those conflicts is what the multi-stakeholder model is all about.
>>

> And briefing the stakeholders is what I'm all about.
>

>  Governments have a hard time grasping this concept as they are used to
>> being in charge and don't understand they are merely one party at the
>> table.
>>

> (Although most governments do notice there are others at the table).
>
> But here, on the IGC list, what I'm attempting to do (for the sake of
> avoiding any misunderstanding) is discovering what the various
> correspondents understand to be "the Internet", upon which they wish "no
> government interference".
>
> I asked a question of Avri, perhaps you could answer it also.
>
> Then we'll all get on a lot better, rather than talking past one another
> all the time.
>
> ps If anyone knows what the US House of Representative's draftsman means
> by "the Internet", that would very helpful too.
> --
> Roland Perry

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN