[governance] Conflicts in Internet Governance

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Mon Apr 15 09:34:51 EDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 05:18 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> I think I answered it several times in several ways.
>
> Within their respective countries they, whether North Korea,
> Azerbaijan or Sweden, get to enforce laws to the extent that citizens
> allow on those within their physical territory.

Avri,

1. From your line above, I suppose you accept that other stakeholders in
each of these (and other) countries will not have a role in enforcing
law within their physical territory, which the Governments have.

If you do accept this, then your wish that  "government participation as
equal/equivalent stakeholders in Internet governance" contradicts the
above, in the context of law enforcement within their physical
territory. Will you accept that your wish is meaningless to the extent
of this contradiction.

2. I could not understand what you mean by "to the extent that citizens
allow", do you mean that the citizens can refuse enforcement of law by
the Government. Would you extend such a privilege to decide what laws to
follow and what not to follow to areas other than IG?

I request your clarifications.

Guru
ps  - On the issue of law enforcement beyond territorial borders,  I
hope to seek clarification separately