[governance] Conflicts in Internet Governance

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Apr 12 09:20:55 EDT 2013

Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> I'm looking for texts (not necessarily formal publications; convenient
> online availability would be a plus) on the various conflicts of
> interest in Internet Governance (in the broad sense of the WGIG
> definition [1]).

I've been asked in private email whether my question is about
"conflicts of interest" policies such as for example ICANN's.

I apologize that I haven't been clear enough.

What I'm looking for is write-ups about actual large-scale conflicts
between different Internet-related interests.

Such as for example the conflicts between the traditional publishing
industries and those who want a paradigm change in regard to fundamental
principles of copyright.

Or the conflicts between designing the Internet and its rules of
governance for being either explicitly pro-democracy (see e.g. the
"Compact for the Internet" vision of Neelie Kroes, Vice President of the
European Commission responsible for the Digital Agenda,
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-11-605_en.htm ), or
primarily in accordance to economic interests, or to a large extent in
accordance to desires of law enforcement bodies (desires which when
satisfied will not only make matters more convenient for law
enforcement bodies in democratic countries, but the same kinds of
structures in the Internet techno-ecosystem would also support
non-democratic governments in violating human rights of the citizens
and residents of their countries.)

Etc... there's no shortage of conflicts.

Greetings,
Norbert