[governance] IPW - ICANN CEO Wants To Shift “Centre Of Gravity” Away From US

Chaitanya Dhareshwar chaitanyabd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 10:56:23 EDT 2013

Beautifully put Nobert "a global governance institution is subject to the
laws and court system of a country that is a military and economic
superpower".

I imagine it would really affect if ICANN were _REALLY_ de-centralized -
with each branch being an authority unto itself, and THEN if they were
subject to regional law in a more restrictive region.

So it's a _good_ ICANN's core is in the US of A - given the long-standing
freedom they've enjoyed (which is really only being noticed now) - leeway
in other countries may run out fast when a local (person/org) does use the
legal process. Many instances of Google/FB/etc being asked to take down
content specially in India. If the authorities realize they can strong-arm
ICANN into exterminating those source domains they'll do it! Not a pretty
picture. Hopefully that day will never come.

-C