[governance] IPW - ICANN CEO Wants To Shift “Centre Of Gravity” Away From US

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Apr 9 10:29:33 EDT 2013

Chaitanya Dhareshwar <chaitanyabd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Side effects: Ok so some of this is conjecture; but not all.
> Basically the leeway a country gives organizations based in it (as
> opposed to one based out of another country) is often limited by
> their perception of it.

Yes, how much "leeway" there really is gets tested only rarely, namely
when someone takes an issue to court. (Karl Auerbach's ICANN lawsuit is
one of the rare examples; it's an example which shows that ICANN being
subject to California law isn't all bad news, even from the perspective
of someone like me who is rather critical of any situation where a
global governance institution is subject to the laws and court system
of a country that is a military and economic superpower.)

Greetings,
Norbert