[governance] Ex-White House Official Joins Group Fighting "Excessive" Online Privacy Laws

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 02:15:38 EDT 2013

Parminder,

You wrote:

*"Coalition for Privacy and Free Trade " is exactly the kind of issue based
network that are getting formed. (Bertrand, please note.)*

Thanks for flagging me :-) Sorry I did not pick it up earlier.

This coalition is not at all an issue-based governance network of the sort
I was alluding to. It is a traditional advocacy group - without taking any
sides on the substance of their position. They call themselves a coalition
and I think it does not leave room for ambiguity.

Issue-based governance networks need to be multi-stakeholder and, by
definition, should include and actors with divergent perspectives and
interests (the relevant stakeholders, whatever the criteria are). They also
need to have deliberation procedures of sort...

I do not accept the argument that the creation of an additional advocacy
group undermines the concept of issue-based governance networks.

Best

Bertrand

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

> On Monday 01 April 2013 11:26 PM, michael gurstein wrote:
>
>> http://www.motherjones.com/**politics/2013/03/daniel-**
>> weitzner-internet-privacy<http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/03/daniel-weitzner-internet-privacy>
>> -coalition
>>
>> Regulatory capture in action?
>>
>> And what better way to ensure regulatory capture at the global level than
>> ensure that there are no global regulatory frameworks or mechanisms that
>> will ultimately need to be captured?
>>

> "Coalition for Privacy and Free Trade " is exactly the kind of issue based
> network that are getting formed. (Bertrand, please note.) And we know what
> they are upto. Soon there will be others, that is the trend, like perhaps
> one led by Shell on green economy, and Nike on labour friendliness.... No,
> this is not acceptable, We are better off with evolving old fashioned
> democratic systems from within, with a deepening democracy focus.... We
> have seen movements, especially in Europe, of a new kind of democratic
> politics bypassing the existing political party captures - that is where I
> would put my hopes instead of these dangerous neolib trends. I appeal to
> the civil society to recognise the dangers that we are headed towards in
> all this mushy talk of "equality of all stakeholders in decision making"
> (read, corporate led 'governance' systems), and issue based networks as the
> prime next gen governance paradigm...
>
> parminder

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Internet & Jurisdiction Project Director, International Diplomatic Academy (
www.internetjurisdiction.net)
Member, ICANN Board of Directors
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")