[governance] Message to IGC/ was formal notice to Suresh

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Apr 8 22:41:25 EDT 2013

Norbert:

> Maybe one solution would be for the people who agree with you on what
> kind of policy is desirable, to join that list?

[Milton L Mueller]
Wow. This seems dangerously close to an invitation to leave this list and join another if you don't agree with a particular position. Am I misinterpreting the statement above? Unacceptable, if so. The whole point of this list is to have different positions represented.

I actually agree with the position that Gurstein and Parminder make wrt the manipulation of the category "technical and academic" community. I actually made that point years before them. In fact, I have been hurt by this by being excluded from groups on that basis, when I have as much claim to be counted as a member of the tech/academic community as anyone. However, the debate between Suresh, McTim on one hand and Gurstein and Parminder on the other was a legitimate one, and I saw as much hostility and aggravation on one side as the other.

It is extremely unfortunate that Norbert has intervened in this dispute by making it clear that he basically agrees with one side of the dispute and wishes to single out one person as "causing" the problem. Notice that by doing so the polarizing debate has simply been prolonged for another 2 days and the opportunity presented by Anriette's intervention has now been lost. It will be difficult to move forward on a more even-keeled basis now.

I believe one of the coordinators has now acted in a partisan and self-justifying manner and that this type of thing is going to kill the list, if it is not dead already.