[governance] Formal public warning to Suresh

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 8 11:53:27 EDT 2013

Highlighting some salient elements, as well as ordering them:

On Apr 8, 2013, at 2:31 AM:
> ... made this list a space that I don't feel comfortable in.

This, it seems, is the root issue - a list where productive exchange
is withered.

> It also feels as if the same rules are not being applied to everyone
> in the same way. ...
also:
On Apr 8, 2013, at 10:37 AM:
> ... others contributed to this problem ...

1)  Which points first of all, as far as I can see, to the first
question:

What is the problem - why is exchange squelched?

[ returning to - On Apr 8, 2013, at 2:31 AM: ]
> ... people questioning others' integrity and intentions ...

Often of course there is a complicated mix of causal factors.

Top of the list, however:  Ad hominem attacks chill other, reasonable
exchange.  That is, argumentation discussing the opposing person
pejoratively.  Rather than, discussing just ideas and evidence, and
strictly only that.

2)  Now, turning to a second part:

Is this - paramount - cause unfairly assigned to one person, as the
quotes above query?

A moderator has made clear.  There has now been an evidentiary review
of list archives.

On Apr 8, 2013, at 6:04 AM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> the situation is very very asymmetric

What is more, the same moderator post makes clear there have been
repeated private warnings, previously.

Is there
[ again - On Apr 8, 2013, at 2:31 AM: ]
> ... a better option for handling the situation ... [?]

Such as taking contending matters off list?

The elimination of ad hominem behavior has to be a first step, if
history is any guide.  Before there is any other prospect.

That means a strict about face in such behavior.

Which has been made clear, repeatedly, has _not_ happened.  As a
moderator has noted.

David