[governance] Ex-White House Official Joins Group Fighting "Excessive" Online Privacy Laws

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 13:45:24 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>> "Coalition for Privacy and Free Trade " is exactly the kind of issue
>> based network that are getting formed. (Bertrand, please note.) And we
>> know what they are upto. Soon there will be others, that is the trend,
>> like perhaps one led by Shell on green economy, and Nike on labour
>> friendliness.... No, this is not acceptable, We are better off with
>> evolving old fashioned democratic systems from within, with a deepening
>> democracy focus.... We have seen movements, especially in Europe, of a
>> new kind of democratic politics bypassing the existing political party
>> captures - that is where I would put my hopes instead of these dangerous
>> neolib trends. I appeal to the civil society to recognise the dangers
>> that we are headed towards in all this mushy talk of "equality of all
>> stakeholders in decision making" (read, corporate led 'governance'
>> systems), and issue based networks as the prime next gen governance
>> paradigm...
>
> Let me see if I understand your point. This issue network is bad and should not be allowed because you don't agree with their policy agenda?

I think it is more like people are afraid of what they perceive their
policy agenda to be, not what it actually is!  For example, here is a
quote from another network of folk working on, inter alia, privacy

“America’s online privacy law was written 30 years ago, before the
birth of the modern Internet. Currently, law enforcement agencies are
not required to obtain a warrant to access email and other online
documents stored for longer than six months. This analog era law must
be updated for the digital age. The Internet Association strongly
supports updating our privacy laws to preserve the principle that law
enforcement access to online content should require a warrant, no
matter where it is stored or for how long .An email in your inbox
deserves the same legal protections as a letter in your mailbox.”

http://internetassociation.org/the-internet-association-statement-on-bipartisan-leahy-lee-ecpa-reform-bill-ecpa-law-must-be-updated-for-the-digital-age/

If we were to follow PJS's logic, we would reject this perfectly
reasonable statement not because of the content, but because of the
source!

You make a valid point.

--
Cheers,