[governance] RE: [IRPCoalition] Ex-White House Official Joins Group Fighting "Excessive" Online Privacy Laws

riaz.tayob at gmail.com riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 04:15:52 EDT 2013

Under neoliberal globalization, as opposed to pragmatic Keynesianism practiced by the rich countries pre  Reagan and thatcher, deregulation, or minimal regulation, has been shown in a number of sectors to favour the powerful, dominant, monopolistic or oligopolistic players in the field.

As we see from the self imposed mess of the financial crises in the rich countries, of which revolving doors and regulatory capture and criminal immunity are key features, fragmentation of governance), complexity (regulators could not understand the complex products they were selling, not even the CEOs knew what they were in fact) and direct participation of foxes guarding the hen houses were key elements of the strategy to ensure big finance made a buck, the public interest be damned (quite literally).

There is a need for cooperation, however codified, but it very much depends on how the issue is framed. But with clear advantages to some players in the current arrangements I would be much inclined to hear from the likes of Curran about his ideas of representation and framing as there is some values convergence, as opposed to views that are valid but IMHO mere defenders of the status quo who often are laggard when it comes even to the dynamism that icann shows.

So MG, do not be dissuaded by calls to precision as the gist of what you say is in the right direction. After all, at some point we must simply agree to disagree, and deepen the analysis.

...,...