[governance] Report on WCIT // Suggested Next Steps

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 10:54:52 EDT 2013

Excellent to raise these issues, Norbert, but I think it is inappropriate to cast these matters as "fears and concerns"... they are (potentially) statements of fact and the issue is how/when/who will effectively undertake the research needed to establish some of this.  (It seems like a useful undertaking for UNCTAD with its renewed research mandate for example.)

The problem in doing the research is that so many of the categories and assumptions of conventional research in this area are immensely value laden (take a look at how GNP is calculated sometime for example) but if one starts one's research from an attempt to determine who is benefiting from ICT induced/enabled social and economic change (and who is not) and with the overall goal of finding policy mechanisms to help to ensure some degree of equity in longer term outcomes of these changes then we will be some considerable way along the path of understanding.

As I was trying to say in my comments to the WSIS +10 Review, I think that this is perhaps the most important area to be discussed in the WSIS +10 meeting itself (and to direct the research leading up to that meeting...