[governance] Google's officer with detention order in brasil

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 13:18:55 EDT 2012

On Sep 29, 2012 6:28 PM, "Riaz K Tayob" <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue below can also be framed with less simplicity... there is an
intersection of self-interest and public interest... by seeing it only one
way, we may miss important aspects of the case, including the fact that
human rights are essentially litigated mainly by corporations asserting
rights rather than natural persons... after Citizens United decision in the
US, many ought to give this framing some more consideration as it may be
too simple...

> On your latter point, are you opting for the easy route of unilateral US
control? You may as well be explicit...

What did I say that has this to do with 'unilateral control? I said
Corporations like Google ought to be concerned about the long term
implications of the easy approach (of saying yes to every Government
directive that interferes with Civil liberties) The other path (of
legitimate and fair challenges to unfair directives) would be difficult,
but a responsible thing to do.

And I also said that the Internet Corporations might need help and support
from users in such a defense :-)

> On 2012/09/28 07:59 PM, Sivasubramanian M wrote:
>>
>> Yes, we need to see this as Google defending freedom of expression. It
would be irresponsible on the part of a large, global Internet corporation
as Google to submit to every directive by every Government organ from
everywhere, without concern for the long term implications of such an easy
approach for the Internet.