[governance] Google's officer with detention order in brasil

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Sat Sep 29 09:41:38 EDT 2012

On 28.09.12 19:59, Sivasubramanian M wrote:
> Google's interests in this case are far broader than its own
> commercial interests and quite aligned to the global public interest.
> What the user needs to do is to fully endorse and support Google.

Let's not forget for a second, that any "non-commercial" interests you
attribute to Google (or whomever else) are in fact projection of their
strict commercial interests. After all, each and every commercial
subject exists only because of it's commercial interests and we should
never make the mistake to attribute human abilities to corporations.

However, Google is a special case and in no way the typical commercial
enterprise many try to portrait it. It is not even the typical US
Corporation.
For Google to do what they do, they need to have serious backing from a
bunch of "non existent" agencies all around the world (not only the US).
If Google didn't have this backing, they would have closed doors long
ago, because they have made so many things not event the most
influential "Corporation" dares do.

Anyway, the key point here is that whatever Google does to "behave", it
does it because of peer pressure, not because they have any values in
that regard. They essentially have no clue about the impact of their
actions to the most of the world.
In this respect, Google is exactly like any of the Governments out there
--- only that Governments fear losing power, because they might not be
re-elected due to poor "management", or sometimes fear an revolution
happening or what not.
While Google only fears their "sponsors" not turning the switch off.

Ironically, it's the "Cold War syndrome" that makes Internet so
democratic, so alive and "fair" for everyone.

Daniel