[governance] 3322.org seized by Microsoft from Chinese DNS service provider

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Sep 24 02:18:19 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

> On 23.09.12 12:08, Norbert Bollow wrote:
>>
>> Krebs on Security: "Malware Dragnet Snags Millions of Infected PCs"
>>
>> http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/09/malware-dragnet-snags-millions-of-infected-pcs/
>>
>> (I'm more concerned about the innocent third parties affected by this
>> kind of action, though. --Norbert.)
>>
>> "Last week, Microsoft Corp. made headlines when it scored an
>> unconventional if not unprecedented legal victory: Convincing a U.S.
>> court to let it seize control of a Chinese Internet service provider’s
>> network as part of a crackdown on piracy..."
>>

> This is an perfect example of abusing market share. In this case, the
> victims computers were infected because of flaws in the software supplied by
> Microsoft. The irony is that all those people paid Microsoft for that
> software.

no.  From the article Norbert sent:

"First, the short version of how we got here: Microsoft investigators
found that computer stores in China were selling PCs equipped with
Windows operating system versions that were pre-loaded with the
“Nitol” malware, and that these systems were phoning home to
subdomains at 3322.org."

Adam