[governance] How to Block Pornographic Websites

Aldo Matteucci aldo.matteucci at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 10:41:25 EDT 2012

John,

this is fine, and importan but misses the point. This is what we as users
can do, not what the provider is able to do preventively.

youTube seems to be able to screen in some areas, and declares itself
unable to do the same for other areas. If they can elide animal cruelty,
why can't they use the same algorithms for people? Or do we scream
differently than a tortured dog or cat?

Please advise

Aldo

On 22 September 2012 16:36, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2012, at 7:48 AM, Shcherbovich Andrey <dvbirve at yandex.ru>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear colleagues.
> >
> > In Russia there is a criminal pornographic website http:\\
> shockmodels.info Child porn, cyberslapping, bullying, fraud. It has
> different mirrors in Germany, Czech Rep. and other countries. Please tell
> me how to block it generally. Is there a way to go?
>
> Andrey -
>
>   Blocking of websites is fairly difficult due to their ability to rapidly
>   change both domain names and their hosted IP address. However, production
>   and distribution of child pornography is nearly universally recognized
>   as a criminal matter and as such there are additional steps one should
>   consider.
>
>   Note - I do not know what can be done about the other categories that
>   you have identified (nor even whether they represent a criminal matter),
>   but with respect to child pornography, please report it promptly here:
>
>   <
> http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=2936
> >

>   Click on banner at the top of the page entitled "MAKE A CYBERTIPLINE
> REPORT ->"
>
>   This information will reviewed and made available to USG Internet Crimes
>   Against Children (ICAC) Task Forces, as well as pertinent international
>   federal, state, and international authorities.
>
> Thank you!
> /John

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Aldo Matteucci