[governance] IGC Principles

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 02:17:31 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

>  On 19 Sep, 2012, at 7:23 AM, "Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro" <
> salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The numerous controversies surrounding Internet Governance makes it
> abundantly and inherently clear of the need for Civil Society to develop
> Internet Governance Principles. In light of the same, I thought I would
> pull an email from Wolfgang Kleinwachter on the same.
>
>  For continued dialogue, even with the IGC as per the email on
> Brainstorming, an additional Working Group could be added to look into this
> and it would be great Wolfgang if you could take the lead in developing
> this and whoever wants to volunteer can indicate their interest
>

> There is sort of a working group for this already, as the IG Principles
> you speak of are one of the output documents planned to be opened for
> signature at the Best Bits meeting http://igf-online.net/bestbits.

This is excellent Jeremy.

> Wolfgang had reconfirmed that he would take the lead in developing it
> through an online working group, though he has been quite busy so the work
> hasn't progressed far.
>
> Meanwhile there has been some discussion on the Best Bits list on whether
> or not this statement of principles should be merged with the other planned
> output from Best Bits, which is a statement to WCIT about the ITU's role in
> Internet governance (if you have a view on that, please feel free to
> express it either here or on the Best Bits list).
>
> I would suggest keeping the principles separate.  Be good once we get a
firm feel of how we want to improve coordination of IGC input in critical
areas (brainstorming) that groups can quickly work on gathering input and
discussion in various areas.

> This isn't intended to steal any of the IGC's thunder, but rather to
> grease the wheels a bit so that the opportunity doesn't slip.

All about collaboration, it's good that there's a cross-lateral approach
but at the same time we need sustainable systems to be able to effectively
build up positions and analysis.

> Whilst Best Bits isn't officially under the IGC, it is full of IGC
> members, so please feel free to regard the working group as already formed
> if this helps.

Yes I did notice the mailing list also rides on the IGC.

> :-)  It makes sense for everyone who is interested to work together.

It makes sense.

--

--
Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala