[governance] IGC Principles

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Sep 19 02:08:47 EDT 2012

On 19 Sep, 2012, at 7:23 AM, "Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro"
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
<mailto:salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>> wrote:
> The numerous controversies surrounding Internet Governance makes it
> abundantly and inherently clear of the need for Civil Society to
> develop Internet Governance Principles. In light of the same, I
> thought I would pull an email from Wolfgang Kleinwachter on the same.
>
> For continued dialogue, even with the IGC as per the email on
> Brainstorming, an additional Working Group could be added to look into
> this and it would be great Wolfgang if you could take the lead in
> developing this and whoever wants to volunteer can indicate their interest

There is sort of a working group for this already, as the IG Principles
you speak of are one of the output documents planned to be opened for
signature at the Best Bits meeting http://igf-online.net/bestbits.
Wolfgang had reconfirmed that he would take the lead in developing it
through an online working group, though he has been quite busy so the
work hasn't progressed far.

Meanwhile there has been some discussion on the Best Bits list on
whether or not this statement of principles should be merged with the
other planned output from Best Bits, which is a statement to WCIT about
the ITU's role in Internet governance (if you have a view on that,
please feel free to express it either here or on the Best Bits list).

This isn't intended to steal any of the IGC's thunder, but rather to
grease the wheels a bit so that the opportunity doesn't slip.  Whilst
Best Bits isn't officially under the IGC, it is full of IGC members, so
please feel free to regard the working group as already formed if this
helps. :-)  It makes sense for everyone who is interested to work together.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015:*
http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational