[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

Chaitanya Dhareshwar chaitanyabd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 01:59:58 EDT 2012

I think we all agree

1. Freedom of speech is important
2. What is said must be carefully said - if it's likely to hurt the
sentiments of the masses ("perceived compliance") something should be done
to prevent that hurt sentiment - strongest being censorship (but what other
measures could be used? - as Riaz said  'Reasonable' measures)
3. Service providers like youtube (google) that have a large reach and huge
client base should consider possible methods to prevent hate/racist/etc
messages (measures werent mentioned - we could work on this)
4. Governments need to know there are measures (point 2 & 3) that can be
used without opting for censorship - as Faisal said we need to do our part
on this or Governments will probably opt for blanket censorship
5. Violence and censorship are not viable solutions - the damage is just
too great

-C