[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Wed Sep 19 00:23:57 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 08:13:06PM +0500, Kabani (kabani.asif at gmail.com) wrote:

> Dear Tapani,
>
> Thanks for the input,
>
> Do you think that this type of video should be post on the Internet?
> (Yes/No)
>
> Do you want more people to make more videos like this one on all other
> regions and cultures of the world? In context of Freedom of Expression.

I haven't actually seen the video, but it doesn't really matter, I can
answer anyway:

First, I think it would be better if people wouldn't post such videos.
But that applies to a lot of stuff in the Internet, including some
I'm sure you consider good and useful.

Second, much more important, I think people should *have the right*
to post such videos if they want to. It should be up to them, up to
each individual, to decide what they want to say, not up to any
government to judge whether or not it is true or useful and ban
or allow it accordingly.

> We as community need to prevent these type of act, used in name freedom of
> expression, Violence in any form is not acceptable on street or through any
> means including internet.

Yet you seem to be supporting the use of violence to suppress this
specific case of expression.

> The Internet must remain natural and should not support any one ,

I'm not sure I understand that.

> and we must respect everyone human rights.

With that I agree 100%.

> Pl. dont mis-lead the group, lets keep the discussion in neutral
> way, and stay focus on topic.

I thought the topic was a possible caucus statement on the censorship
of youtube, and I've tried to stick to that.
And if it hasn't become clear yet, I would support a statement
condemning violence but not one demanding censorship.

--
Tapani Tarvainen