[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

Fahd A. Batayneh fahd.batayneh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 10:59:15 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

>  (snip)
>
> I believe Google are just trying to save their business. You can't blame
> them about this stance.

Saving their business must not be at the cost of any religion or social
norm. More, it must not be at the cost of mocking religious figures who
changed humanity with their message and beliefs.

Would you accept anyone to "save their business" at the cost of depriving
you of something that is owned by you?

>  Imagine, you post something, that someone who doesn't agree with you
> claims is offensive to them. Should Google remove it? Why?

I would not wait for Google to remove, I will do it myself. Even better, I
would not get myself into such a position by posting content that could
offend someone.

> This forum is not appropriate for religious propaganda.

I remember last year when the Arab spring erupted, I was watching CNN
showing peaceful demonstrations in Jordan as chaotic. The scene was less
than 5 seconds, and it did not reflect what was exactly going on. I started
receiving e-mails from friends and colleagues overseas that were worried. I
told them that nothing is going on and that the media is not showing what
is exactly happening.

Bottom line, what you call "Religious Propaganda" is more of "The Proper
Side of a Story ". The media is not reflecting what is exactly going on.

> I happen to live in a country, that was subject to mass extinction for
> half a millennium because of that same religion.

Do you mean the Persian empire? Or Andalus (Spain under the Arab rule)?

Either ways, historians interpret different timelines of history
differently (they have different points of views), and there is no
difference regarding Islamic history. Since neither your good self nor
myself lived during the "... mass extinction for half a millennium ..."
period, none of us are in a state to claim that " ... that same religion"
did so.

I guess this is not a place to discuss un-proven history, thus - as in your
words - "... not a place for * history * propaganda"

> Please. To me such statements are no less offensive than what you claim to
> be the video to you (which you haven't even seen).

I have not seen the video because when I started watching the first couple
of minutes of it, I realized that it is a waste of my time and that those
who created it are a bunch of mindless amateurs who are seeking fame.

You cannot claim that such statements are offensive since they did not
insult you or your believes in any ways. Religions are meant to coexist in
much the same way humans coexist. This is called Freedom of Expression.

> You yourself said we should not discuss the contents. This is ok. But
> let's discuss the circumstances. Who made that translation? In my opinion,
> those who made the translation are those who seek the present conflict.

What I was referring to in my discussion is the negative image the religion
is further gaining from issues and debates that it has nothing to do with
(it all started with 9/11).

I would agree though that discussions like these would lead no where, but
it is more of an education and exchange of points of view :-)

Fahd