[governance] Freedom of Expression #FoX #FoE #Yemen #Libya

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Fri Sep 14 08:37:22 EDT 2012

On Sep 14, 2012, at 2:10 PM, Koven Ronald wrote:

> It seems to me that a more helpful approach, for example, is to note that incitement to violence with the likelihood that the violence will ensue is not legal anywhere, including under the anti-restrictionist US First Amendment. One could argue that the film in question is just such an incitement -- and that its producers likely knew that to be the case. That would put a rather different light on restricting access to the film than simply making a blanket statement to the effect that freedom of expression is not absolute.

To repeat what I said a bit ago on another list,

 I was intrigued yesterday to see Jane Harman, former heavyweight Congressperson on Internet issues and now head of the Woodrow Wilson Center in DC, suggesting that the film could meet the criteria for Incitement to violence and thus be banned within the US on the grounds it falls under the exceptions to protected speech.  I've not heard many US politicians, particularly from her side of the aisle, take that line on Internet speech issues before.  Do we have any lawyers here who know whether that could be a plausible line of action?

Is this an argument that's gathering steam, Rony?

Bill