[governance] Freedom of Expression #FoX #FoE #Yemen #Libya

Koven Ronald kovenronald at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 08:10:52 EDT 2012

Dear Sala --

I was very bothered by this statement of yours justifying restrictions on freedom of expression. Of course, we all know that freedom of speech can't be absolute. But proclaiming that evident home truth in difficult contexts like the present crisis can only lend comfort to the restrictionists of freedom of expression.

There is a generally accepted Anglo-Saxon legal dictum: "Hard cases make bad law." We seem to be confronted with just such a "hard case." Here is a NYTimes article today on the dilemma of major I'net service providers over stopping access to the offensive anti-Mohammed film: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/technology/google-blocks-inflammatory-video-in-egypt-and-libya.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120914

The article reflects the understandably ambivalent responses of free speech advocates to this crisis. The issue should be approached in a more nuanced way than merely noting that freedom of expression isn't absolute.

It seems to me that a more helpful approach, for example, is to note that incitement to violence with the likelihood that the violence will ensue is not legal anywhere, including under the anti-restrictionist US First Amendment. One could argue that the film in question is just such an incitement -- and that its producers likely knew that to be the case. That would put a rather different light on restricting access to the film than simply making a blanket statement to the effect that freedom of expression is not absolute.

Best regards, Rony Koven, World Press Freedom Committee