[governance] When will ACTA II be fought out ?

Rashmi Rangnath rrangnath at publicknowledge.org
Thu Sep 13 13:49:11 EDT 2012

All:

My name is Rashmi Rangnath and I work for a Washington DC based
organization called Public Knowledge. I have been following discussions on
this list for a few months and have found it very informative.

My organization, with EFF and many others, has been fighting against
various aspects of the TPP for about two years. Public Knowledge's primary
focus is the copyright chapter. But we have grave concerns about the
secretive nature of the process as well. We have collected some information
and analysis at this website: http://tppinfo.org.

I would welcome any thoughts and comments you have on the analysis
presented there. Also,  if any of you are also working on any aspect of the
TPP, I would welcome an opportunity to have a conversation with you.

Regards,

Rashmi

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Louis Pouzin (well) <pouzin at well.com>wrote:

> It seems the TPP negotiators have not learnt much from ACTA's rout.
> Reactions after leaking their draft agreement are clear indicators that
> their secret agenda is bound to turn as broken as ACTA. US lobbies have
> been vying to impose a hard consensus to a small coalition of countries,
> and then snowballing it into a de facto dominant international order. Oops !
>

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/13/obama-trade-document-leak_n_1592593.html
>
> http://www.citizenstrade.org/ctc/blog/2012/06/13/newly-leaked-tpp-investment-chapter-contains-special-rights-for-corporations/
>
> TPP draft
>
> http://www.citizenstrade.org/ctc/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tppinvestment.pdf
> - - -
>

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  [No transparency, no access, and for the pursuit of life liberty and copyright protection... so much for exceptionalism...]
>> http://amnesty.org/en/for-media/press-releases/tpp-must-not-trade-away-free-speech-and-health-2012-09-06

>> TPP Must Not Trade Away Free Speech and Health
>>
>> Negotiators from nine countries gathering outside Washington DC to draft a new Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement must ensure that any new rules on copyright and patents adhere to core principles of transparency and uphold human rights, Amnesty International said today.
>>
>> "No one has the right to trade away our hard-fought legal protections for free speech and the right to health, and much less to do it behind closed doors," said Suzanne Nossel, executive director for Amnesty International USA.
>>
>> "It is time for TPP negotiators to show the public their cards and, more importantly, the draft text of the agreement."
>>
>> This text has been kept a secret since negotiations began in 2007, but leaked information suggests that it would attempt to achieve some of the same objectives of the widely criticized Anti-Counterfeiting Agreement (ACTA).
>>
>> Specifically, leaked TPP draft text neglects protections for fair use and standard judicial guarantees - such as the presumption of innocence - and includes copyright provisions that could compromise free speech on the internet and access to educational materials.
>>
>> Moreover, draft TPP provisions related to patents for pharmaceuticals risk stifling the development and production of generic medicines, by strengthening and deepening monopoly protections.
>>
>> "Access to life-saving medicines is a right, not a privilege, and the TPP must put people ahead of profits," Nossel said.
>>
>> In 2007, negotiations on the Trans-Pacific Partnership started between Chile, New Zealand, and Singapore. The United States joined the negotiations in 2008, with Canada and Mexico expected to join negotiations soon.
>>
>> The TPP countries account for 27 per cent of global Gross Domestic Product.

> [...]

Rashmi Rangnath
Director, Global Knowledge Initiative and Staff Attorney
Public Knowledge
1818 N Street NW
Suite 410
Washington, D.C. 20036