[governance] Big Porn v. Big Web Ruling Could Spell Trouble for ICANN / was Re: new gTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Sep 12 00:34:27 EDT 2012

Avri and Ian,

Will weigh in with more responses to your and other's comments later on
when I have a little more time, but just to say for the present that;

Firstly, IANA function that US may or may not hand over to someone else,
in one issue. Another one, the main one in the present thread, is,
whether IANA function is voluntary abandoned or not by the US (your
choice of what should happen), ICANN as a US non profit would remain
subject to all kinds of US laws vis a vis all its activities and
policies. As a part of the .xxx judgement for instance, the courts can
ask ICANN to revise all its domain name policies to bring them in
accordance with US anti trust and possibly other laws (say IP related),
in 'such a such', manner. ICANN would have no option other than to do it
right away. You will agree that with the .xxxx case already been taken
up, and its basic tenability also been accepted by a court ruling, such
an eventuality is quite possible. This issue is at quite a different
level than that of who exercises IANA authority, which you address in
your emails.

What is your response to this particular, i'd say, imminent, problem?
How is ICANN going to deal with it? With the .xxx case already in the
court, and many more expected in the present round of new gtlds, should
ICANN not already be ready for what is certainly going to happen sooner
or later?

Secondly, if some kind of immunity for ICANN from US's domestic law
through some kind of international agreement is part of your response to
the above, and I may be being presumptuous in this regard, please note
that Milton and even Lee do not seem particularly sanguine about it; not
just about the likelihood that it would happen, but even of its
desirability. They seem to prefer that ICANN remains subject to US laws,
to ensure that some kind of public interest control is kept over it.
What is your position on this?

I mention this because evidently, even leaving my and Riaz's position in
this thread of discussion out, there is much less general agreement on
the way to go ahead, that may appear on the surface. And the
disagreement is not just on the time frames involved or the path to
follow, but, and this is most significant to assert, also vis a vis the
eventual desirable state of affairs.

I understand that the mainstream view in the US, including but not just
limited to the 'establishment', is closer to that of Milton/ Lee's above
view. We know that EU also rejects the possibility of ICANN being
subject to no kind of jurisdiction what so ever. These facts will have
to be kept in mind.

Regards, parminder