[governance] Big Porn v. Big Web Ruling Could Spell Trouble for ICANN / was Re: new gTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Sep 11 23:52:17 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 11 September 2012 11:44 PM, Pranesh Prakash wrote:
> snip

> Which law would you like ICANN to be subject to?  After all, given
> that they are a brick-and-mortar organization, they will have to
> subject themselves to one nation's law or another's.  Which one should
> it be, then?

Pranesh, you work with WIPO which is a brick and mortar organisation
which , in terms of its substantive work, is subject to no nation's
jurisdiction. It is only subject to international law. In fact all UN
organisations are brick and mortar organisations, arent they; they are
physically located in one country or the other without their substantive
activities being subject to the respective national law.

Do I take from your framing of the above question that, therefore, you
are fine for a global governance institution like ICANN to be subject to
US's law and jurisdiction in terms of its substantive governance activities?

parminder