[governance] Big Porn v. Big Web Ruling Could Spell Trouble for ICANN / was Re: new gTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Sep 11 05:49:31 EDT 2012

Hi Lee,

We live in a world that is made of territorially defined and bound
jurisdictions. Plus, there is some international law/ jurisdiction,
albeit rather weak. There are no doubts exceptions, whereby territorial
jurisdictions are able to, in some way or the other, reach out to other
parts of the world. (This mostly happens  on the 'powerful gets his way'
principle, which is not to be recommended.) Admittedly, there are more
such instances in a more connected world today then ever before, but
they still are 'exceptions'.  The problem is that Milton and you are
trying to propose a governance system out of these exceptions. No, it
doesn't work that way. We cant work with exceptions, we have to work
with the main system. And the main system is broken, for which please
see below...

On Monday 10 September 2012 02:11 AM, Lee W McKnight wrote:
> Hey Parminder,
>
> If Milton's signing off, I'll sign on for one more attempt.
>
> My aim is not to encourage lawsuits against the hegemon's proxy ICANN
> - but I feel them coming on anyway, with the .xxx one just the tip of
> the hegemon's melting iceberg.  (I'm enjoying this 70s flashback,
> don't get to use the word hegemon twice in one sentence often these
> days : )

You do agree that there are many lawsuits coming ICANN's way. Are we
prepared for the outcomes of these lawsuits, which are as inevitable.
How long will the US executive be able to put persuasive pressure on the
US judiciary to not do anything that may rock the boat. I dont think the
US judiciary is that subservient, and, sooner or later,it will
decisively apply the law. In an email on 27th Aug, responding to my
specific poser,David Conrad developed the scenario that may follow an
adverse decision in the .xxx case. It culminated in the 'possibility' of
.xxx having to be removed from the root. Are we prepared for this
eventuality. Would the legitimacy of the system not collapse right away!
(I must mention here that David thought it wont).

There could be other impacts of an adverse decision in the .xxx case;
ICANN may be directed by the court to review all its policies and
actions vis a vis whatever the court thinks needs to be done to ensure
consistent application of US's anti-trust (or any other) law. ICANN will
immediately *have* to  do so....

Are you/ we prepared for this very plausible scenario? Responsible
governance systems and its stakeholders do not just sit around and wait
for such a 'very probable' eventuality to happen. What is our response/
preparation to it? Does this not suggest that the present system of
oversight of, and jurisdiction application over, ICANN is broken?

Your and Milton's response to it seems to be: it does not matter if
ICANN has to do all the above things on directions of a US court; we
will simply tell all the outraged/ protesting people from other
countries that ICANN will also respond *exactly" in the same manner if a
court from their countries (India, Ghana, Nepa, Indonesia, Brazil etc)
were to find faults with ICANN and propose remedial measures. /This will
be a patently untrue statement/. I can assure you that no one will buy
it. So, I advice you, please be ready for some other response.

As for your and Milton's claim that if ICANN is subject to international
law, the corresponding immunities that it will get from national
jurisdiction could be a problem. Yes, it could be a problem for USians,
since at present ICANN is subject to their national law. It is not a
such problem to people of other countries. On the other hand, it should
be obvious that any international law will be framed in a manner that
takes as much account of ICANN functions as possible.Even if specific
legal provisions do not exist in some aspects, the international system
is capable of delivering on basis of principles of natural justice and
other such forms of jurisprudence.

Thanks, but we can do without US law getting imposed on the whole world,
which, to me, is what your and Milton's critique of 'any' international
system/ jurisdiction is all about.

parminder