[governance] global events in non-democratic countries

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 04:37:26 EDT 2012

To this we must add the coverage of systemic issues to the critique of
the more common and formally analysed aspects of freedom of expression
(repression, censorship, advertising control impacts, etc) namely, the
coverage of issues from different perspectives... an example is a case
in point: of the major financial and mainstream media outlets few if any
were attuned to the systemic risks posed by derivatives and other
shenanigans of the big banks... and this in the context of where they
WERE following the money... in other words, press freedom needs to be
contextualised in the social, productive, cultural relations of a
society (and to anticipate possible crits - this is not an excuse for
violations of universal human rights; even the European Union tolerates
difference with its legal concept of "margin of appreciation"...)