[governance] global events in non-democratic countries

Oksana Prykhodko sana.pryhod at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 02:33:39 EDT 2012

Dear Roni,

Thank you very much for your letter.

I fully understand your concerns and share some of them.

Yes, the fact, that we showed our posters to stop censorship, will not
stop it. But we demonstrated, first of all - sorry, not we, but
Yanukovich gangsters demonstrated, that Yanukovich lies, when he says,
that there is no censorship in Ukraine at all.

Second - our faces, names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers are
known for Yanukovich regime very well (they wiretapped us, reviewed
our correspondence, checked our personals). But now our faces and
names are known to a lot of people throughout the world. I am sure
that they will not imprison me for this action. But they really can
imprison me, for example, for Adobe Connect on my PC, claiming, that
they just fulfill their "international obligations" (even if this
Adobe is open). And I hope, a lot of people then can understand real
reasons for it.

Third, about Timoshenko and so on. No boycott or international
isolation will stop Yanukovich and his banda - only bank accounts
blocking and no visa for them and their families from international
community and real protests within Ukraine. That is why it is very
sad, that World Newspaper Congress has very high fee for
participation, and very few Ukrainians could join it to hear about
Mexican or even Russian journalists and media activists and to
establish personal contacts with foreign colleagues. You can try to
follow media coverage of WAN-IFRA in Ukraine to understand, that
Ukrainians did not receive adequate information about it at all from
national media. But they read a lot in foreign media.

Hoping to see more such events in Ukraine and in other postSoviet countries,
Best regards,
Oksana Prykhodko,
director of iNGO European Media Platform