[governance] ICANN stumbling on a hornet nest

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 04:36:46 EDT 2012

Many NGOs etc participate in settings where they feel compromised (eg
WTO, WHO, etc). The problem is not participation per se (although a
strong case can also be made for this), but the relationship from reform
to more equitable solutions on the radical spectrum.

In other words, what is the middle path... exhortations that intimate
that participation is the way to go develop this are correct. But from
what we see in both tenor and substance, this does not seem to be
intended as an equitable process (on process applying same
standards/norms irrespective of who is saying it - equitable treatment).
Unless there is some modicum of openness the quest can be seen as an
occupation/colonisation of legitimacy. That said, there is always the
paradox of participation...

As indicated in other threads, what is the trajectory beyond status
quoism? Minimal accomodationist (where even ICANN shows up "progressive"
civil society) platforms are simply not it for some of us(/me)...

(And about living with the results, one presumes that meaningful change
is possible within these fora for issues that are determined by some in
the South...such optimism is lauded, but we can as always, agree to
disagree...)