[governance] speaker at the opening ceremony?

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:20:53 EDT 2012

Actually a summary to that may be that governments in developing countries
including ours have resorted to putting into place Internet
Traffic Intelligence and Surveillance systems at all points of presence
including but not limited to both ISP and regulator layers to monitor,
block, filter and censor mobile and online content. This is being done and
implemented ahead of the upcoming WCIT/ITR meeting so there is legitimacy
in either way should countries oppose or support such recommendations and
proposals.

These activities are being carried out as Franc La Rue reported during his
reports to the Human Rights Council meetings. The fact remains that as
US-Centric Internet Resource Management remains, countries have been sold
various Internet Traffic Intelligence and Surveillance systems by US and
Canadian companies. An evident example is the use of Sandvine traffic
intelligence by PTCL Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited. PTCL is
the largest ICT/Telecom provider in the country and manages the Internet
trunks.

A strong note of severe concern should go out that from CS during IGF to
the WCIT and ITU as well as participating nations.

FoO