[governance] In Multistakeholderism, those who would be Lobbyists become Legislators, & nobody else has a vote

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Oct 27 11:13:36 EDT 2012

On Saturday 27 October 2012 06:39 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> So governments are the only legitimate stakeholders in Internet
> governance?

I always have a problem with considering governments as stakeholders (
which kind of proposition is one of the principal democratic defect in
MS theory). Yes, they are inadequately representative, some more
inadequately than others, and some hardly representative at all. But
that is the measure and scale I see governments on, and that is the
democratic problem to address; how to improve, and if necessary,
complement their representativity.

On the other hand, if I begin to consider government, say my government,
as one stakeholder, whereby I as a part of some other group would be
another stakeholder, I am on a very problematic ground. I have admitted
that 'my government' (defined as the government of the political entity
which I can be considered to primarily belong) is, even normatively,
expected to have 'its own' interests, other that of its constituents
like me. And that having such 'own interests', whatever it means, is in
quite fine, theoretically. To that extent I have regressed on, or in
fact lost, the 'representativity' problematisation stated above.

>  I don't think you can just wave away the practical problems with this
> - the democratic deficits in all intergovernmental bodies, and the
> fact that there are transnational (border-crossing) interests that
> governments have no democratic mandate to take into account - so even
> in theory, they are not adequate representatives of the public interest.

These are regular and well known problems with democracy, attempted to
be addressed by deepening democracy. There is a great amount of
literature and developing sets of practices within the arena of
democracy in this regard. The solution to these problems was never seen
to require bringing big business along to become equivalent stakeholders
as governments and others. This is an illegitimate innovation of MSism
in IG.

parminder