[governance] FW: [Dewayne-Net] EU & US Negotiators Looking To Hold Blind & Deaf Access Rights Hostage To Get A New ACTA/SOPA

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 20:45:53 EDT 2012

In the USA, it's a known political strategy to (metaphorically) strap the
disabled to the front of tanks and then roll through the Tiananmen Square
of democracy, defying civil society to shoot.  Being civil, civil society
most often refuses to shoot at such tanks....    This is kind of like how
the EU is seeking to backdoor ACTA provisions via provisions for the
disabled, as mentioned in the article below.

As much as most or all of us wish to be helpful to the situation of the
disabled, at the same time we have to keep our eyes open for the side
effects of provisions for the disabled, and especially the threat of a
political strategy of intentionally abusing the strong political support
for the disabled in order to sneak in unpopular things.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

PS Specifically, in the USA, the "Help America Vote Act" (HAVA) was passed
with quite a few provisions claimed for the disabled crafted onto to what
was more fundamentally a federal takeover of all elections, an elimination
of transparency in vote counting by eliminating paper ballots/trails in
most instances, and was also a pork barrel bonanza for certain vendors who
could more easily meet the specifications recommended or demanded by HAVA.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:12 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1
Ishpeming, MI  49849