[governance] U.S. - Japan Policy Cooperation Dialogue on the Internet Economy

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Tue Oct 23 12:36:12 EDT 2012

Maybe Chaitanya that you're right about digital divide widening due to "high speed clouds". In my opinion this isn't the only threat.

Cloud networking requires a stable and 100% working network, i.e. datacenters inlusive. All network components (equipment, centers, O&M functionalities ...) need a stable and 24/7/365 electricity supply for their feeding. In most countries of Africa electricity supply is problematic, even in large cities. Therefore once you rely on distant SW and Data for working with your terminal (i.e. in the cloud), the risks of a "dark network" is sufficiently important for dissuading you from being cloud enthousiastic ! Not to speak about public services and business communications !

Best

Jean-Louis Fullsack

> Message du 22/10/12 17:36
> De : "Chaitanya Dhareshwar"
> A : governance at lists.igcaucus.org, "Jean-Louis FULLSACK"
> Copie à : "parminder"
> Objet : Re: [governance] U.S. - Japan Policy Cooperation Dialogue on the Internet Economy

Increasing the digital divide more like - the fastest clouds would be in the most developed countries and thus the entire "cloud computing investment" will go: to the most developed countries.

Unless the less developed ones are able to pull up excellent network speeds and stable datacenters.

How many people here would choose CtrlS over Softlayer(Theplanet)?

-C

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK  wrote:

> Isn't this a joke :

> ........For these reasons, industry representatives suggested the following activities:

> > · U.S-Japan collaboration for establishing an international framework to support cloud computing.

> > · Promoting the use of cloud computing in developing countries and reducing the digital divide.

> Either these prominent experts from Japan and US never were staying in African countries or they try to make us laughing ! I imagine the worries of Internet users in these countries with cloud based Internet networking in Cameroons or in Senegal (and a lot of others). For sure : they won't laugh at all !

> Best

> Jean-Louis Fullsack

> Message du 22/10/12 09:44
> > De : "parminder"
> > A : governance at lists.igcaucus.org
> > Copie à :
> > Objet : Re: [governance] U.S. - Japan Policy Cooperation Dialogue on the Internet Economy

On Sunday 21 October 2012 09:50 PM, Fahd A. Batayneh wrote:

The United States and Japan held the fourth Director General-level meeting of the U.S.-Japan Policy Cooperation Dialogue on the Internet Economy in Washington, D.C.

> > http://www.yumanewsnow.com/index.php/news/latest/1450-u-s-japan-policy-cooperation-dialogue-on-the-internet-economy
> >

> > From the agreement text:

Encouraging other countries to develop principles consistent with the “United States-Japan Trade Principles for Information and Communication Technology Services.

     governance at lists.igcaucus.org