[governance] U.S. - Japan Policy Cooperation Dialogue on the Internet Economy

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Mon Oct 22 15:06:00 EDT 2012

Chaitanya,

let me tell you a short story about clouds and grids in the real world.

Several years ago in the consortium for the Internet-2 project in Mexico I (while Academic-CIO at UNAM) got funds for a project, the Metropolitan Supercomputing Delta, which would interconnect three supercomputers at high speed (ours was a Top-500 when purchased, 1,300 processors.) The key to the design was that the communication between the computers would never be more than an order of magnitude slower than the fiber inside the computers so we would not be working with batch jobs but some level of synched computing power for big science problems like computerized fluid dynamics, quantum chemistry, etc.

This would become a National Reference Laboratory and a great place to train people in grids and a stepping stone toward provisioning cloud computing. The project was authorized but the funds were not released for several years (in the meantime I left that job.) Well, it's 2012 and it's beginning to work because it took years to go across the regulations to do things like dig trenches to cross a sidewalk between a university and the subway to connect to a fiber there and other stuff like that. Inefficiency, bureaucracy, lack of vision, petty politics, all played a role.

Darned missed opportunity, darned high opportunity cost: we never got to train, hands-on and in critical, bleeding edfe, operations, the several hundred engineers we would have.

Is this the fault of the ugly imperialists out there? Or will we admit that in developing countries we have some laundry of our own to wash before blaming it all on them?

Why can't we, quoting you, "pull up excellent network speeds and stable datacenters" while "they" can?

Alejandro Pisanty

! !! !!! !!!!
NEW PHONE NUMBER - NUEVO NÚMERO DE TELÉFONO

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO

SMS +525541444475
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM, Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org