[governance] Baku visa requirements etc.

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Oct 19 02:50:26 EDT 2012

In message
<6DCAB3E586E6A34FB17223DF8D8F0D3D59EEE343 at W8-EX10MB.unam.local>, at
20:31:31 on Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch
<apisan at unam.mx> writes
>there are a few websites like http://www.visahq.com/citizens/ which
>collect visa requirements for all countries of origin and destination.
>
>The information is not authoritative, may change over time (quite
>suddenly over time), there may be requirements that are not published
>officially by countries and not caught in these sites, etc.

The worst example I saw fairly recently (at the time of IGF) was one
site's advice which only made sense if you believed Sharm el Sheikh was
still in Israeli occupied Sinai.

>Some require you to show travel tickets while others emphatically ask
>you not to buy them until you have the visa. And so on.

Indeed; some countries want to see a hotel reservation and  a ticket to
prove you have the financial means support yourself and to leave the
country afterwards, others don't want the aggravation caused if you book
and are subsequently refused a visa. It's almost as two-edged as the
WHOIS debate :)
--
Roland Perry