[governance] Principles

Koven Ronald kovenronald at aol.com
Tue Oct 2 04:25:29 EDT 2012

French political discourse makes a very clear distinction between "legitimacy" and "legality."

"Legality" is seen as merely formal. Something that is legal may not be legitimate.

"Legitimacy" is seen as having moral authority. But something that is legitimate may not be legal.

Thus, right wingers opposed to the Popular Front government in the 1930s claimed that it represented the "apparent country" as opposed to the "real country," in other words that the government was legal but not legitimate.

Rony Koven