[governance] Google's officer with detention order in brasil

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Oct 1 03:23:34 EDT 2012

On Friday 28 September 2012 10:01 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> What about the users? Shouldn’t they have a say in the rules?

Milton

They should use democratic processes, and if the processes are not fine,
fight to have the right processes. This is the history of struggles for
democracy, which continue, although a new neoliberal discourse has been
trying to confuse them through concepts like users rights (whats wrong
with people's rights!), multistakeholderism (whats wrong with
participatory democracy), internet exceptionalism and so on.

> Are you proposing to re-territorialize the Internet so that national
> governments can have full authority?

You of course realise that US gov has full authority over its own
digital space, and considerable authority over that of other countries.
Thus it may be more useful to direct civil society fire power where the
illegitimate concentration of power lies.

However, even if one is to take your hint, and seek non-national global
law for the global Internet (and I understand, at least hope, that you
still are believer in the rule of law unlike the naive anarchist view
that seem to dominate a certain techie mindset), I have failed to see
any proposals from you for framing global laws for, what we both agree
is and should be preserved as a, global Internet. You have mostly opined
that, for instance in case of ICANN oversight, US laws being applied to
the world is rather ok. You oppose internationalism for global law
making, and have neither proposed any evolutionary improvements to
internationalism(as ITfC has proposed), or, as I far I know, even any
radical improvements.

Challenging application of national laws on the Internet in developing
countries (the fact of a particular law being bad is a very different
issues and should be dealt by democratic and civil society processes)
and instead advocating application of US globally does not make for a
very convincing case.

> snip

> Google or any other multinational social media provider isn’t perfect.
> But terms of use constitute a private ordering that users can opt out
> of if they don’t use the service. Who in Brazil (or any other country)
> gets to opt out of dumb laws and dumb judges?

You are telling people to submit to a corporatist ordering of our social
systems.  'you can opt out if you wish' is often an insulting
proposition by those who control to the controlled, when structural
realities make such a proposition rather meaningless. Like those calling
for a fair and just globalisation being told, well, if you dont like it,
you can opt out of globalisation as it is occurring now.

On the other hand, I do understand that in the new neoliberal global
world order, their is this new political direction of richer classes in
most countries (especially, but not only, developing countries) to seek
to opt out of the democratic order they are 'subject to' in favour of a
new post-democratic global order whose political capital lies in the US,
because whether they like it or not, any new system still needs some
kind of political coercive authority, for instance to make those early
dawn knocks to catch people doing things as dangerous as sharing video
files.

Also, that reminds me, what about the desire of non US people to 'opt
out of dumb laws and judges' of the US.... like in the case of their
involvement in ICANN oversight/ interference... to those who want such
an opt out, you have said that US laws and judges are good and should
continue to overlord over the ICANN (for whatever 'minimalist' areas
that you lay down). When you want Brazilians to be able to opt out of
Brazilian dumb laws and judges, your lack of sympathy for non USians to
seek opting out of the dumb US laws and judges' supervision of ICANN,
when they are not even 'formally' accountable other than to the US
public,  looks rather self-contradictory.

parminder