[governance]http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/27/net-us-un-internet-idUSBRE8AQ06320121127

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 08:16:19 EST 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael
>
> The function of arguing against regulation and then making "piece meal"
> adjustments as "necessary" (which is a commodious term) is not as innocuous
> as it seems.

I don't think there is anyone on this list who argues for this.  You
(and MG) clearly don't understand this.

 From the 3 prong list earlier in this thread, there is a clear
> "position" (as stated) and "interest" (the reason, purpose, etc) and this is
> how the "game" is played.

Sticking to one's principles is not playing a "game"!

> It is not innocuous because this frames the debate in the "free markets are
> better" mold. Now the global financial crisis was facilitated (if not
> caused) by this type of thinking - in a sector most susceptible to
> oversight...
>
> It is of course a different matter, when those who argue for "hands off" and
> then "hands on" (exceptionally or otherwise), if one seeks to be in two
> places at once.

It's undeniable that nations states regulate Internet activities
within their borders.  I'm not happy about this, but recognise that
little can be done about it.

Thinking that a global agreement on Internet regulation would give us
more freedom and a more open Internet is hopelessly naive.

 But with a battalion of corporate funded ideogogues backing
> this view up, I guess it passes some sort of muster.... Perhaps people are
> playing the "game", but perhaps not...

I don't think that because the Googles/Facebooks/eBays, etc share the
same opinion as the ISOCs/CDT/Accessnow, etc folks on ITRs that that
means that they are wrong.  It just means that CS and Internet
companies share the same values on an open and free Internet.

--
Cheers,

McTim