[governance]http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/27/net-us-un-internet-idUSBRE8AQ06320121127

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 07:37:50 EST 2012

Michael

The function of arguing against regulation and then making "piece meal"
adjustments as "necessary" (which is a commodious term) is not as
innocuous as it seems. From the 3 prong list earlier in this thread,
there is a clear "position" (as stated) and "interest" (the reason,
purpose, etc) and this is how the "game" is played.

It is not innocuous because this frames the debate in the "free markets
are better" mold. Now the global financial crisis was facilitated (if
not caused) by this type of thinking - in a sector most susceptible to
oversight...

It is of course a different matter, when those who argue for "hands off"
and then "hands on" (exceptionally or otherwise), if one seeks to be in
two places at once. But with a battalion of corporate funded ideogogues
backing this view up, I guess it passes some sort of muster.... Perhaps
people are playing the "game", but perhaps not...

Riaz