[governance] [IP] US must hand over Internet control to the world - People's Daily Online

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Nov 26 13:05:48 EST 2012

Michael,

Just to clarify: I was curious as to why the PDO opinion piece resurfaced after 3 months, i.e., was there some discussion over on Dave's list that caused someone to dredge it up. Lee's subsequent note provided a bit of context. Tony does like to rail against the ITU...

On Nov 26, 2012, at 1:41 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Whether "wrong" or not, I guess the point was that it is well to keep in mind what the leadership of one quarter of the world's population and the world's second largest economy thinks about some rather significant Internet related issues.

Unfortunately, what they think (if that is what is reflected in that PDO piece) is simply and factually wrong (no quotes needed) as Wolfgang points out in his response.

> Probably also well to keep in mind that in the end (and whether we like it or not) a lot of the issues under discussion at the WCIT will be resolved on a political (national interest) basis rather than a technical one and that distinguishing between the two isn't always as clear cut as it might at first appear.

And in other news, water is wet :).  The question isn't whether the issues will be resolved on a political or technical basis, it is how much the technical will be allowed to inform the political. If pure propaganda like the PDO piece is allowed to stand unchallenged and is used as input into political decisions, then the answer would appear to be "little to none" with an outcome most likely similar to why we're not communicating via X.400 over TP4/CLNP.

Regards,
-drc