Netiquette (was Re: AW: [governance] Indian Express on privacy)

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Mon Nov 26 01:52:07 EST 2012

On Nov 26 05:47, Suresh Ramasubramanian (suresh at hserus.net) wrote:

> The rfc did make sense in the days when uucp over expensive and high
> latency links was the order of the day, I must admit.

People don't read or write any faster today than they did then -
network bandwidth wasn't the only or even main limitation even
when RFC 1855 (https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt) was written.

Sure, not all of it is really applicable today, and it is
rather long (although people who habitually write even
longer messages should not find that a problem...),
but there's still a lot of useful advice in there.
I'll single out two good examples:

'Be brief without being overly terse.'

'Remember that the recipient is a human being whose culture, language,
and humor have different points of reference from your own. Remember
that date formats, measurements, and idioms may not travel well. Be
especially careful with sarcasm.'

--
Tapani Tarvainen