[governance] Google's Fight the ITU/WCIT website

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Nov 24 09:05:55 EST 2012

Hi All,

I did not want to intervene in this exchange since I am an implicated
party, and therefore my comments may not be taken as disinterested,
which I will like to claim they in fact are. For the record, I would
like to state that my interest here is not to press for further ticking
off those who have made postings that have been recognised as offending
by many members of the list. However, I think Sala's intervention as the
IGC coordinator is being unfairly targeted and since no one (except
Michael now) has risen to her defence I take it my duty to do so. I
express my strong disagreement with the manner in which Sala is being
chastised for what I see as an entirely fair carrying out of her
responsibility as IGC coordinator.

I think there may have been a misunderstanding among at least some of
those who have commented negatively on Sala's warning email . Of course
she did not mean that the word 'nazi' may not be used at all. That would
be so strange to do; which should have been obvious to everyone. Her
email has to be read in the background of the warning emails that she
issued just a while earlier. She only meant that the manner in which one
member (deliberately using the third person) was accused, inter alia, of
habitually engaging in Nazi like propaganda was unacceptable... and of
course it will be as unacceptable to make such inappropriate references
citing taliban or ku klux klan... Most importantly, such an accusing
personal remark wasnt made in a one off manner.... This inappropriate
comment followed use of a great deal of inappropriate language involving
direct personal attacks within just the last few days. It is in this
specific background that Sala wrote the email about not using words like
nazi, and issued the warning, which followed a warning issued only a few
hours earlier.

The comments made by the persons who got warned, over quite a few
emails, in my view, do adversely attract the 'posting rule' provisions
of IGC's charter.

        The messages must observe a minimum of decorum, including:
         refrain from personal attacks, insults or slander
         refrain from offensive or discriminating language
         refrain from threats , including threats of legal action, on
        list or off list
         refrain from excessive and repetitive posting

        Inappropriate postings to the IGC list include
         Unsolicited bulk e-mail
         Discussion of subjects unrelated to the IGC mission and objectives
         Unprofessional or discourteous commentary, regardless of the
        general subject
         Sequences of messages by one or more participants that cause
        an IGC list to become a hostile environment

        http://www.igcaucus.org/charter

  Perhaps Sala could have been more explicit on what specific kind of
use of the Nazi term did she object to, but she simply took it that
people had been reading the offending emails.

On the other hand, if indeed those who have been chastising Sala for her
warning think she has done a wrong thing, I would like to ask then if
they instead expect the offended member to get into a slanging match
with the person who got the repeated warnings! Would that not destroy
the elist. Do note that there are about 10 emails within a day or two
that seem to carry on a surprisingly sustained exercise of making
personal attacks.... In judging the coordinator's conduct one will have
to ask oneself how would they themselves react if they were at the
receiving end of these attacks, and what would be their own expectation
from the list coordinator in such a case.

(And I not really not cribbing here for my own sake. I really can manage
these kind of people and the kind of things they do. But what would
happen to any new member who but tries to post something that does not
suit the these people's taste. In fact the message has perhaps already
been given to them. And now, unfortunately, the IGC coordinator is being
given the message that she should simply let these things happen and not
intervene.)

parminder