[governance] Good Bye .DOTAFRICA: ICANN Approves the Change Request Made by DotConnectAfrica Trust for Its .Africa

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Nov 21 10:09:14 EST 2012

Today, the national governments that constitute ICANN’s Governmental
Advisory Committee (GAC) for the first time publicly voiced their concerns
over specific new Top-Level Domain (TLD) applications in the form of Early
Warnings.

More than 240 individual GAC Early Warnings were issued in relation to 200
new TLD applications which account for 162 unique strings.

DotConnectAfrica’s application for .africa received 17 Early Warnings.
UniForum SA’s application for .africa received no Early Warnings.

http://www.ariservices.com/blog/first-insights-from-the-gac-early-warnings-on-new-top-level-domains/

On 9 November 2012 02:43, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> Volumes are definitely key. Especially to offset the rather high startup
> costs of a new tld
>
> --srs (iPad)
>
> On 09-Nov-2012, at 1:31, "Fahd A. Batayneh" <fahd.batayneh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> From my discussions with a couple of TLD applicants, some have set
> success-numbers such as "if I manage to secure xyz,000 registrations at the
> cost of ab dollars per domain name, I have fulfilled my cause". That - as
> you said - mainly comes from good marketing.
>
> Fahd
> On Nov 8, 2012 11:36 AM, "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <suresh at hserus.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Success in terms of numbers? It depends on how much their marketing skills
>> match their skills in high decibel politicking. Convincing companies with
>> .eg, .ng, .za etc domains to get themselves .africa in addition / as a
>> substitute may or may not be easy.  They could certainly learn from
>> .asia's
>> experience I'd say.
>>
>> Fahd A. Batayneh [08/11/12 09:17 +0200]:
>>
>>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian
>>> <suresh at hserus.net>wrote:
>>>
>>>  (snip)
>>>>

>>>  Even the TLD by itself has little or no relevance in the larger scheme
>>>>

>>> I agree. In fact, around 1% of the domain names registered at a global
>>> level originate from Africa (or at least have African addresses tied to
>>> them).
>>>
>>> So this all boils down to how the folks at .africa define the success of
>>> the TLD in terms of numbers.
>>>
>>> Fahd

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Mwendwa Kivuva