[governance] Re: Need for strategic planning (was Re: Why Cell Phones Went Dead...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Nov 21 03:13:27 EST 2012

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>:

> If you start off a conference with as vague and generic a goal as
> "sustainable [x], [y] and [z]" and, what is much more important, no
> action items for future work identified, little or no funding except
> for the next conference at the next exotic venue, no permanent
> staff / secretariat to keep the logistics moving .. what else do you
> expect, other than more presentations?

I's say that it's plausible to expect people to talk about what they're
thinking and doing anyway (independently of the IGF), with specific
emphasis on the aspects which are most related to the IGF theme.

Now I have observed a near-total lack of engagement with the big-picture
global-public-interest objective that constituted the official IGF
theme.

I interpret that as an indication of widespread (among the entire
community of IGF participants) overall lack of strategic thinking on
achieving the big-picture objectives that are clearly in the global
public interest.

Greetings,
Norbert