[governance] Re: Need for strategic planning (was Re: Why Cell Phones Went Dead...)

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Nov 20 06:52:26 EST 2012

The IGF was never really meant to accomplish "action" - everybody I've talked to considers that it is, to put it impolitely, a talk shop - and to put it much more politely (and accurately), a place where a rather wider variety of stakeholders can meet stakeholders from outside the circles they usually move in, and possibly find common cause on something they're working on.

If you start off a conference with as vague and generic a goal as "sustainable [x], [y] and [z]" and, what is much more important, no action items for future work identified, little or no funding except for the next conference at the next exotic venue, no permanent staff / secretariat to keep the logistics moving .. what else do you expect, other than more presentations?

--srs (iPad)