[governance] IGF Workshops

Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google tracyhackshaw at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:15:52 EST 2012

One suggestion could be to have a specific set of criteria for "Main" or
"Feeder" workshops into the Main Sessions, assuming that the
subject-specific Main Session is doing what it is supposed to be doing, and
not degenerating into a "Mega Workshop".

All Feeder Workshops should be organized in such a way that they can
logically feed into the Main Session (i.e. they should happen before the
Main Session begins).

Additionally, perhaps the Main Sessions could /should take more of a
structured "Open Forum" approach, with the Workshop Rapporteurs/Workshop
Organizers leading and facilitating discussion from the audience with the
concept of "Main Session Panelists" being replaced by "Discussants". These
Discussants should be Subject Matter Experts in the areas under discussion
in the Main Session (stating the obvious), and should also reflect various
diversity considerations, as opposed to necessarily reflecting the
organisational composition of the IGF.

For non-"Feeder" Workshops, which are on topic, but yet not candidates for
merging, perhaps a separate day (e.g. Friday) could be set aside for these
workshops, which provide edge-type conversations to the "Main" or "Feeder"
workshops. I noted the emergence of a series of "side sessions" at this IGF
which seemed to fit this bill.

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 5:32 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Good to hear that many of the workshops were of a high quality.
>
> I think clearly 11 tracks was too many, but there was a record number
> of proposals received this year (and no doubt more next.)  Do we want
> the MAG to cut 50% or so?  Or just keep the high number?  Something to
> think about in time for taking stock consultation next February.
>
> Adam
>

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Luca Belli <lucabelli at hotmail.it> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > My impression is that the workshop quality has increased, compared to
> IGF 6.
> >
> > I think some efforts may be done in order to merge overlapping workshops
> but
> > it is important to stress the distinction between “duplicate workshops”
> and
> > workshops that analyse similar issues from a different angle. Indeed,
> many
> > of
> > the workshops have similar titles but completely different contents,
> format,
> > etc.
> >
> > For the sake of competition, I would say that it is better to have a
> wider
> > choice
> > of similar workshops and let the IGF participants “vote with their feet”
> by
> > participating to the most valuable ones, rather than oblige workshop
> > organisers
> > to merge.
> >
> > Furthermore, I would like to join Stuart’s nice comment on Workshop 146
> > (Intellectual
> > Property Rights and the freedom to share: are the two compatible?).
> Although
> > my
> > opinion is not really impartial, because I was directly involved in the
> > organization of
> > the workshop, I have to say that I received a lot of positive feedbacks
> and
> > the
> > participants where extremely pleased by three main features of the
> session:
> >  1) the workshop was an interactive roundtable: panellists engaged in a
> > question-and-answer debate since the very beginning and they were not
> > allowed
> > to deliver lectures (they had a maximum of 3-4 minutes to reply my
> > questions);
> >  2) a large portion of the workshop was dedicated to interventions from
> the
> > audience.
> > Indeed, we all know that some of the most interesting inputs to the
> > workshops discussions
> > frequently come from the audience;
> >  3) we have decided to promote an intergenerational dialogue: the panel
> > make-up
> > included 11 panellists that were born between the 1950s and 1990s, and
> that
> > was
> [...]

Best Regards,

Tracy F. Hackshaw | T&T Mobile: +1 868 678 8710 | US/Google Voice: +1 786
273 9344 | tracyhackshaw at gmail.com |
www.OurFutureisNow.info<http://www.ourfutureisnow.info/>

Skype: hackshawt | GTalk: tracyhackshaw | MSN: tracyhackshaw | Yahoo:
tracyhackshaw

Social Footprint

Google Me: http://goo.gl/p4xs6 | Google+: http://plus.ly/tracy | Google
Profile: http://goo.gl/8j2xk | LinkedIn: