[governance] Meeting with EC/EP: short report

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Tue Nov 13 06:44:00 EST 2012

Dear all

I support Jovan's comments about government participation very strongly.

It is not that we cannot have useful IGFs without government
involvement... but for the whole process of dialogue/soft power/building
of capacity and understanding and relationships to have positive policy
outcomes (and to influence day to day behaviour) we do need them there.
And we need more than North American and European governments andthe
regular handful of developing country reps. In some ways this imbalance
consolidates distrust of of multi-stakeholder inclusion in the places
where we most need to build it.

I think it can be addressed.. and one mechanisms is the MAG. For
example, I think that the Special Advisor (should this person ever by
appointed) should be from a developing country. Similarly if a chair (or
co-chairs) is to be appointed from among MAG membershavinga developing
country person as one of these co-chairs could also make a huge
differencein building the MAG's legitimacyamong developing country
governments.

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692