[governance] Meeting with EC/EP: short report

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Nov 12 09:53:03 EST 2012

On Monday 12 November 2012 05:42 PM, Tijani BEN JEMAA wrote:

> Parminder and Marie Georges,
>
> The meeting was organized as a round table where everyone take the
> floor for a short time to express him/herself. All was about the
> internet governance but we didn’t take a specific item, and discussed it.
>
> As for the “Intermediate international standards”, they were presented
> as a third layer between the international general principles and the
> national laws. They described it to be more simplified and more
> acceptable for all the countries so that they may be applied by all at
> the national level. My reaction to this concept was that I find it is
> a good idea to elaborate more simple and more precise standards, but I
> don’t think it will be a third layer; the so-called “intermediate
> standards” can only be the same layer as the international general
> principles since they will be international agreements, and their use
> at the national level will still depend on the willing of the
> governments.

Dear Tijani,

Thanks for the clarification. I mostly agree with your views. However,
there may be some use in developing some more practical and accessible
principles for IG from larger accepted international principles like
human rights. Such principles can directly inform public policies
related to the Internet, which in turn can help shape the development of
the Internet as per global public interest, and not the interests of the
most powerful.

However, the real issue is; how should these Internet principles , or
principles for Internet related policies, (the so called third layer) be
developed. Should plurilateral bodies of rich countires do it for the
whole world, as OECD and CoE have done recently . Or should this be done
through processes that equally involve all countries, with greatest
possible participation of all stakeholders. I would expect civil
society, and IGC, to take a clear view on this issue.

parminder