[governance] Barack Obama Victory Tweet Most Retweeted Ever

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Thu Nov 8 00:00:30 EST 2012

Suresh,

It's always a matter of opinion. Anybody can hit the delete key if that
particular item perplexes them. But you know some of us who can make the
connection  - then it's not a big deal. The picture of the president and
the first lady hugging and is heavily tweeted (and even circulated in
Facebook) is a sign of free speech online.  Please don't get me wrong - you
are entitled to ask. There are so many facebook pages created in the US
that is devoted to political opinions, e.g. "*Politically Incorrect and
Proud of It Too*." Anybody can subscribe to humorous quotes, posts and
pictures that pokes fun at President Obama. That's like normal squabbling.
You have the likes of Michelle Malkin who is a very strong conservative
blogger who uses her Twitchy website to post her tweets (as screenshots) to
make a political point. So those people who tweeted on Obama's winning are
probably his supporters, thus, expressing their own right to express
themselves via social media. I see nothing wrong with that regardless if
one is a liberal, conservative or a libertarian. Do I really need to
elaborate on this issue? Nope - it's a no brainer. I just want to point out
that this is how I would think of the issue. But I wouldn't chide Fahd for
posting that here as well as he is also is exercising his right to share
his opinion. I also chose to give him a break.

Charity Gamboa-Embley